========================================

 

======================

 

 

 

 

 

Austin Shanahan Moyvane, died 1902 aged 62yrs Pres. Cork.

 

Presentation brother named Edmund Shanahan who was born in Kilbaha in 1841.

 

Edmund's parents were Edmund Shanahan and Ellen Stack. Edmund junior entered the Presentation novitiate at the South Monastery in Cork in 1860, taking Austin as his name in religion. Br. Austin became principal teacher in the South Monastery and in 1871 he was elected Superior of that school. From 1871 to 1874 he was very involved in the building of St. Joseph's Industrial School in Greenmount in Cork, and later, in 1880, he took charge of St. Vincent's School in Dartford, Kent, turning round its fortunes. Returning to Cork in 1882, he was once again elected Superior of the South Monastery. In 1889 Br. Austin was elected one of the four Assistants to the first Superior General of the Presentation order. In the late 1880s and early 1890s he travelled extensively in the United States, Australia and New Zealand collecting money to build a new novitiate at Mount St. Joseph in Cork. Br. Austin died on 24 October 1902 and is buried in the vault in the South Monastery.

 

--------------------------------

 

Year 2000 ,Knockanure Millennium Bell: A Grant of £500 from Kerry County Council, Millennium Awards Scheme, towards the above is acknowledged through the good office of the Knockanure millennium group: Margaret Carmody, Eileen Kennelly and Sean Stokes. This Grant along with the local contribution meets the full cost of the installation

 

 

 

=======================================

 

Lists Knockanure. Old Knockanure Church was Built C1400

 

Augustinian Priests were in charge of the Church.

 

Rattoo abbey was a principal Abby in this Area Near old Knockanure Church the Dominicans had a house in the C 1800 and they were Banished from Tralee in the time of Cromwell.Fr Shine PP of Brosna Died 1827 was the last of the Knockanure Dominicans. Bishop Moriarty made a Survey in 1856 there was a National School in Knockanure with 90 Children. C 1800 Knockanure had a thatched Church. A Stone and Slate Church was Built in 1855.It was Replaced by the Church of Corpus Christi in 1964.

 

Moyvane Church of the Assumption was Built in 1956.

 

https://knockanure.jimdofree.com/

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

Moyvane Church

 

https://moyvane.com/churches/

 

 

 

----------------------------------------

 

 

 

The old Church in Knockanure was a ruin according to Charles Smith in 1756.

 

O Donovan letters 1841 describes the old Knockanure church on the hill situated about three miles east of Listowel as a well preserved ruin.

 

 

 

The Dominicans had a Friary nearby in Barrett's land where there is a well called friars well. The Dominicans came to Knockanure after they were banished from Tralee c1652, they left Knockanure c 1804 to take up parish duties. Among names mentioned were Fr Edmond Stack died 1781,

 

Fr Bartholomew Shine came to Knockanure 1791 and made PP of Brosna and died in 1827.

 

 

 

Knockanure was part of Listowel Parish from 1803 to 1829.

 

 

 

 

 

Lewis tells us that there was a thatched Chapel in Knockanure in 1837. It was replaced in 1865 by a stone and slate church. It was a plain church with a single chamber and three rows of seats and a small gallery at the back to accommodate about 12 families.

 

The church was entered by a small side porch. Windows in stained glass at the back of the altar were erected by the young ladies of the parish c1908. The church was sold and demolished in 1968.

 

 

 

The building of the present flat roofed church with glass ends in Knockanure started in 1963, it was to cost £12,000 but soon ran to over £20,000.Michael Scott and Partners were the architects, who promised a maintenance free building. It has a litany of defects since it was built costing thousands. The Church was dedicated on the 21st of April 1964.

 

The woodcarving of the Last Supper cost £700 in 1964 and was executed by Oisin Kelly. The Stations of the Cross in Tapestry were designed and executed by Leslie McWeeney.

 

 

 

In 1824 Knockanure had two schools, one attached to the Church and another run by Michael O Mahony. The National School opened in 1851 and another school now the Community Centre was built in 1874 and closed in 1966 with the opening of the present flat roofed school.

 

 

 

===================================

 

 

 

The Old Church in Knockanure predates any Dominican arrival. However, the evidence in most of these refuge sites is that the friars lived like secular clergy and worked in the churches near to the houses of refuge. The administration appears to have turned a blind eye to secular clergy. Their particular interest was in breaking the religious orders. The main reason for this is that the religious orders were international organisations and open to continental influences contrary to the policies in Westminster. In Creggs, Milltown, Donore, Castlewellan, Sixmilebridge, Ballingaul, Longwood, Swords, Malahde, Thomastown, Killyon, Rathcabban, Boula, Mount Mary, Castlelyons & Kilcommac the friars were living and dressing as secular priests at that time - there is no reasonable explanation as to why Knockanure alone would be the only one that was different. Their poverty would have necessitated work in the area and, whilst it is possible that they never worked in the chapel at Knockanure they would certainly have worked in other chapels in the area as incumbents.

 

The arrival in Knockanure was probably at the invitation of the Stack family but sadly there are no documents to tell us anything about what was happening or how the friars arrived there or why Knocknure was chosen. The friars were also in possession of a house near Spa but the likelihood is that the bishop of Ardfert wanted help in more remote places of his diocese during those troubled times. The redundant friars of Tralee would have been a welcome help in the years between the Puritan era and the rebuilding of Catholic dioceses in the early 19th century. Sadly much of this story remains a series of speculations as records do not exist and living memory is long gone by now!

 

================================

 

 

 

 

 

Knockanure Church

 

 

 

The old cloisters at Knockanure Church were built in 1649. The chief man at the building of it was Father Moriarty of Castleisland.

 

There were five friars in it for years, the head brother was Brother James Keane.

 

There are two beautiful violin players buried in the old Abbey. They were drowned in the Gale on Saturday 11th June 1752. The place where they were drowned is called the Fiddlers' Hole at a place called Tubber.

 

The friars lived about three quarters of a mile west of the Church at a place called Carrueragh. Father Mortimer O’Conner is also buried in this Church. He was born in the field that the church is built on. He died in Ardare in 1781. The meaning of Knockanure is the hill of the Yew-Tree. Knockanure chapel was built in Father Sheehy's time in 1865. The youngest Friar in Ireland at that time was Friar Toban

 

 

 

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613713/4611471/4651758

 

 

 

 

 

Below is an extract from a school folklore project:

 

 

 

 

 

Fr O'Connor was my granduncle. He was a powerful strong man. Lord Adare was building a castle one time the gave the contract to a Englishman, but he told him the Irish were to get work. The contractor brought a great big strong man from England with him, and any one that could bar stones with him got work.  Labour men brought a letter from FR. O Connor of Shanagolden looking for work but they could not bar stones with the English man so they were sent away. Fr. O Connor gave a letter to a poor man and he went to Lord Adare to get work. He was barring stones with the strong man and he was sent away because he couldn`t keep up with him.

 

 

 

 " For Fr. O Connor's sake give me work" said the poor man.

 

"If Fr. O Connor were here himself  I'd give him work" said the foreman.

 

 

 

When Fr. O Connor heard it, he got an old suit of clothes and he put them on and carried his letter to Adare looking for work. He started working with the strong man. When the bar was full Fr. O Connor said " Is that all you`re going to carry?"

 

The strong man said "The load maybe be too heavy when you get to the top with it."

 

 

 

With that Fr. O Connor put on a few more stones on the load. When they were going to start he gave a little shake and broke the Englishman's back. Everyone got work after that.

 

He died in Shanagolden and some friends were there when he dying and he said to them "If the parishioners want to keep me don`t go against them.

 

The parishioners buried him in Knockanure graveyard beside the wall.

 

 (This story was told by C. Shine a Carpenter at Newtownsands)

 

 

 

---------------------------------------

 

 

 

(no title)

 

 

 

“The ancient name of Kilmorna was known as Rivers Dale...”

 

 

 

 

 

The Abbey or burial ground of Knockanure was then the Friars which is now owned by James Barrett of Carrueragh.

 

At that time there was a road or Bóithrín from the present burial ground of Knockanure to a field in Kilmorna named Buckley's field.

 

At the southern end of the field was the old burial ground then. Knockanure's old church was built in the eleventh century by Canon Casey who was then Parish Priest in Newtownsandes and Knockanure.

 

Knockanure church was not destroyed by Cromwell's men but by the Vandiliers of Clare.

 

The late George Mahony of Kilmorna his great-grand-father was the first souper of the OMahony family. He was a native of Brosna Co. Kerry. There is still a tomb in the burial ground at Brosna belonging to the O Mahony's.

 

 

 

https://www.duchas.ie/en/src?q=knockanure&t=CbesTranscript&ct=CI

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parish History

 

Informant   Daniel Mac Mahon Age    43

 

 

 

Knockanure parish was situated at Trien gate, it was what was known as a common school, the teacher's name was John Lynn, he was a very scarned man and produced good scholars, one of whom became teacher in Knockanure after he (Lynn) had gone to Newcastle West. Burns was this young man's name and the school he taught was situated in the chapel yard right where the church-bell is now erected, it was a thatched structure built with mud and had two chimneys but one of them was what is known as a "blind chimney". Burns was a native of this parish, he left the school and went to some business in Cork where his family still reside. He was then succeeded by Whyte, a native of Athea, but after six years teaching Whyte committed suicide by cutting his throat, and as this happened during school hours needless to say his pupils were terrified and ran wild and the majority could never be got

 

------------------------

 

 

 

Informant

 

    Daniel Mac Mahon Age   43

 

Knockanure burial ground lies on top of the hill of Knockanure, within its walls are the ruins of an ancient chapel, the walls are about four feet thick, the arched door is on the southern side near the western gable, the windows were also arched cut limestone being used. This church was tumbled down by an officer of Cromwell's army named Von De Lure believed to be a Prussian, he it was who tumbled down most of the churches including Athea. This occurred at the time of the Cromwellian Commonwealth. Right inside the door of the old ruins and a little to the right may be seen an engraving on a very smooth flag, this is the last resting place of a priest named Collins who was thrown from his horse and killed near the bridge at the

 

 

 

https://www.duchas.ie/en/src?q=knockanure&t=CbesTranscript&p=2&ct=CI

 

=============================

 

 

 

Church History

 

 

 

There have only been Roman Catholic churches in this parish in recent centuries. From 1803-29 Knockanure was part of Listowel parish. In 1829 it was joined to the neighbouring parish of Murher and the parish has been variously named until taking the present title of Parish of Moyvane.

 

 

 

In 1837 there was a thatched chapel as noted in the Topographical Dictionary of Samuel Lewis. A stone church replaced it in 1865. The present church (Corpus Christi) was opened in 1964 on a different site and is in the International Modern Style of architecture. The old church was demolished in 1968.

 

 

 

In the Church of Ireland Knockanure was joined to Aghavallen by the seventeenth century. The church was in Ballylongford village.

 

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/irl/KER/Knockanure

 

 

 

 

 

=============================

 

Folklore

 

Old Knockanure Church

 

Knockanure church is said to have been built in 1649. It was 90 feet long and 30 feet wide and the wall were 10 feet high. The gables are the same as when carrying a roof, which may be flags from the near by quarry. The wall of limestone and of comparatively modern structure. The church has for windows, the outline of too others are visible. The door is on the south. Tradition says that L Moriarty of Castleisland was the last p.p. of the church. While the church was knocked during penal times, it was only been built then. It was completed after penal times.

 

 

 

More

 

Monastery on Mr James Barrett’s land

 

On the lands of Mr. James Barrett of Carrueragh. Mr. Barrett will show you where the wall of a substantial monastery and church were the O Mahony family are blamed for evicting the monks. But they returned later. Mr Quinlan could not find out which branch of monks lived at Carrueragh. Tradition says that the prior was Mr. William Keane. His assistants Fr. Stack and Fr. Tobin the names of the other are lost. The monastery was said to have been destroyed about 200 years ago. Mr. Barrett will show any visitors the site.

 

 

 

-------------------------------

 

Murhur Church in the Graveyard

 

In 1942 a large section of the top of the wall was removed by the B.O.H. because of the danger to the public. The stone are to be used in the building of a new church in the village of Newtownsandes. The Murhur church was though to be a 17th century building. About 120 feet long and 40 feet wide. The wall are 5 feet thick. The church has 4 widows. The base of which is 5 feet from the ground. Wall are 6-10 feet high. No record of Saints name or traditions connected with the church are available.

 

 

 

 

 

===============================

 

 

 

Published: July 28, 1906,

 

Mangan

 

The New York Times

 

Cleveland Ohio 27th July 1906.

 

John Mangan a retired policeman aged 72 born Glin County Limerick, has refused to seek estate of $6 million. Two babies were born the same day under the elder Mangan’s roof, John the policeman and Mary was born to a sister of Mr Mangan, she later became Lady Bateman. In 1849 Mr Mangan sold his estate to the father of Lord Kitchener and then went to America, the parents died in 1851 and the children were sent to charitable institutions. What became of Mangan’s money is unknown. Mary the cousin of John Mangan Policeman married Sir Thomas Bateman in London. Sir Thomas died six years ago and Lady Mary died intestate leaving $6 million. John Mangan said that at his age of 72 he is not wildly ambitious.

 

 

 

========================================

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Irish

 

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=irish

 

 

 

 

 

stackclangathering@gmail.com

 

=============================

 

MEETING: Moyvane Development Association 2nd Community Development workshop on Tuesday, November 16 at 8.00pm in the Community Sports Hall. The workshop setting is very social, relaxed and is mostly about sharing ideas. There is no need to be worried about getting a job! These workshops are about building for our future in Moyvane & Knockanure so please come along and get involved. Any ideas are warmly welcomed. We are also encouraging as many as possible to complete a survey regarding future development which we have shared to different groups within the locality. Furthermore we encourage everyone to share this survey link. If anyone in our community or diaspora wants the link, email mda@outlook.ie or messaging 087 6761353.

 

TIDY TOWNS see social media for results, congratulations to all the volunteers.

 

======================

 

Church of the Assumption Moyvane

 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVQVOMu9jmtp3EyH3co9n_Q/videos?view=57

 

===================